Sunday, February 13, 2011

segovia, the land i call my own

Ever seen The Princess Diaries? hope so, at least the first one anyways. Remember the song about Genovia? Since Genovia isn't a real country, we decided not to let the song go to waste. It now belongs to Segovia, a city about an hour and a half from Madrid. Segovia, the land I call my own. Se-go-via, Se-GOOO-vi-aaaa. We took a field trip there with our school Friday! It is known for the Roman Aqueducts and Alcázar. On the way, we stopped by the 18th century Royal Palace of la Granja. It was modeled after Versailles! niice. I jacked this picture from the internet because I didn't get a good one of the whole thing
Alcázar

Roman Aqueduct

bocadillo break - chorizo anyone??

Last week went by really fast, kind of like all of the time here has! We volunteered at the bilingual school for the first time on Wednesday! It was so fun, kind of unorganized and we weren't really sure what we were supposed to do, but the kids definitely got to practice their English (even if it was by singing their favorite Katy Perry and Guns N' Roses songs). Yesterday afternoon a group of the auburn girls went to Madrid. We walked around in Retiro Park, it's like central park in new york! but in spain. We went to dinner later on at the "Buffet" (with some japanese words under it) hahaaah. We wanted some sushi, and its not easy to find in these parts. We walked in to check out the menu and were sold when we saw the conveyor belt rollin' around the goods (just makes me think of osaka!!) 
I don't know if you can tell, but that is HAM in that sushi. leave it to spain

Then we met up with some people for Chris' 21st birthday. We barely made the train back to Alcalá! after a few minor struggles in the metro/train station.. Oh ya!  Me and Jane Anne did some more exploring in Alcalá too. We walked by the mexican restaurant that our teacher recommended, thanks carlos. We finally found the river in Alcalá! It's pretty to run along, although I saw a women aggressively pick a dog up by the leash and it was sad! gotta go- tomorrow's busy! I'm meeting with my intercambio, laura, after cine class. And then off to Madrid to hang out with ashley's aunt helen!! haha yay!!
Me and Amy!


Puerta de Alcalá in Madrid!



1 comment:

  1. I miss you my little girl!!! I sure would love to have one of those waffles in your last post. It sounds like you all are having an amazing time!!

    ReplyDelete