Sunday, January 16, 2011

IUAFKJBEIWUKJNSFOEIF

Where do I start?? Gosh I really don't know what to say. How do I sum up the events of the past 3 days? I HAVE NO WORDS, seriously. I have been avoiding this blog and contact with people from home at all costs because I was so distraught about our living situation. Think about it, if we spoke this past week was I acting strange? Probably. Not to mention its too cold to be inside and not under a blanket and I have to put gloves on to do anything around here, like write in my journal for example. So some pretty noteworthy things have happened that would have been fun to blog about but instead of writing them down I was freaking out about Pilar. But don't worry- its resolved! So here's what happened. Me and Jane felt pretty uncomfortable here and unwelcome and we would go to school and hear all of the other people talking about their ballin families and we'd be like uhh and then the people at the Universidad were like tell us ASAP if you're unhappy with your home, happens all the time, so no big deal. So we went to talk to Ana, the housing coordinator who also happens to be our phonetics teacher. She said no big, we'll switch you. They were going to call Pilar Sunday night (TODAY) and tell her, and then tomrorrow we would move out. Awkward, right? I literally felt sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Of course we went home after talking to Ana, and Pilar becomes some cross between Mother Teresa and Julia Child. We were like SHOOT what do we do now? I can't even begin to explain how different it was, she was so nice to us! But we figured it was too late. We sent Ana an email saying if the move was too much trouble, we could stay. After not hearing back from her for a couple days, we started packing our stuff while they were at church this morning. Then, Jane got an email back from Ana telling us to stay. So we unpacked all our stuff again just in time for Fede and Pilar to get home and not know anything about it. EVER. I hope they never find out. Maybe culture shock had gotten the best of us? Who knows, but whatever concerns we had are fine now. Fede's funny. Not to mention he knows English. Like really well, probably way better than I know Spanish. Along with French, German, Italian, and Swiss. I'm not really sure why they didn't mention his knowing English before, maybe so he could be their little spy or something? Who knows what he heard me and Jane saying, as we like to make comments in English pretty often that any Spaniard might take offense to.
 And she is turning out to be a really great cook! Aside from the fact that she leaves meat out overnight to prepare for the next day's meal. I thought I was brought up believing that meat had to be refrigerated? Apparently it's a myth, because I have yet to get sick. Something interesting about Spanish meals - they don't like to mix their food. Like if we have a salad and chicken and vegetables, we would eat them all separately at different times. They told us how strange they thought it was that Americans put it all on one plate! I'm sorry for all you readers out there that this is so long and scatter-brained. But I really think I can blame it on circumstances. BUUT from now on, I think I'll just blog with more pictures and some categories. Like cultural differences, low points, words of wisdom from the padres, and what we did. I forgot to say we went to Madrid on Friday! We had a tour with the people in our program and then ate with some Auburn people after. I got a caesar salad with chicken and it was SO American! The people we ate with left but me and Juan wanted to stay because Madrid is the bomb! So we walked around but refrained from buying anything except the biggest cup of coffee I've ever had from Starbucks. It was amazing. and then we people watched for a real long time. We went back to Madrid yesterday to and hung out with David Boyer, who's studying in Seville this semester. For those of you who don't know, that's Christina, one of my best friend's brothers. MISS YOU TINA! Sorry for the length of this entry. I promise to be more brief and entertaining in the future. 


Here some pictures!!


strike a pose, Pilar
sorry it's sideways, it's worth turning your head for

a courtyard on campus

some cool hallway

la Universidad de Alcalá

La Plaza de Cervantes



MADRID!



my new friend Maitrie!


Jane holding up the Plaza Mayor

some weird tapa


david!

she get it from our mama

Fede y Pilar

¡pulgares arribas!

No comments:

Post a Comment