Wednesday, January 26, 2011

livin la vida broke-a

SHOOT I can't find my debit card anywhere which really sucks because that's the only way I can get euros. Some places accept my credit card but a lot don't and I have this nervous feeling like you get when you lose something. Typical of me. So typical. I need to watch it on my spending anyways - so maybe this will teach me? I only have 10 euros left and haven't come up with a plan of action... should I cancel the card? I'm sure the second I do, I'll find it. Oh well, you win some, ya  lose some.. Last entry was a week ago! Today was another great Wednesday here in Alcalá. I'm still pretty cold but the heater is on RIHGT now as we speak and my feet and shins are all up on it.......So I just took a little blogging break for my hot dog dinner - not bad, really. Jane Anne took the reigns on that one (good job juanita) since Pilar is at a meeting and Fede's in the den with Fede Jr. watching Real Madrid play Sevilla. I need to get into fútbol more while I'm here. All I know is that Casillas is pretty easy on the eyes.

 I don't think there's too much to say about the past week really. We just kinda took it easy and hung out in Alcalá. I could get used to this not having class on wednesdays or fridays thing. Oh but Saturday, sheesh. Some of the people with our group decided to go to a pub crawl in Madrid and see the big city by night. So we thought, eh why not? Did I mention it was called the MADRIDE pub crawl? enough said. So we get there, to this statue in the Puerta del Sol where we're supposed to meet this pub crawl master or whatever he is and come midnight he stamps our wrists, making it really official, and we were on our way. The first place we went to was really fun! Great band, played some classics, and it was so crowded that for the first time since I could remember I wasn't shivering and that right there made it worth while.  From there we just hopped around to different places and danced and met randos. Actually we met some girls that are Au Pairs and we hung out with them the rest of the night - they were so cool and all from different countries! It isn't fair that they all know English so well and they seem to be on to mastering a third language. Why can't America get the memo? It's not even that cool to be bilingual here, it's like normal. So 6 AM rolls around and our group could finally head back to Alcalá since the morning trains started to run again. Me and juanita thought-But wait! It's Sunday in Madrid! Anyone ever heard of El Rastro? It's this HUGE flea market in Madrid that takes place every Sunday morning. We were misinformed that it started at 7, so we thought, why not kill an hour and hang around for the Rastro? Well, 8:30 was more like it, it was FREEZING outside, and you'd be surprised how many places aren't open 24 hrs in Madrid. We got lucky and took cover in a cafe until the sun came up, but as you can imagine we were getting pretty delirious at this point. We got to see the Rastro, finally, and then decided we'd come back when it gets warmer. But it really is something to see! They have anything you could ever imagine! Fede even told us they have monkeys for sale - I don't know about that. We found out Fede is a chief steward for Iberia airlines! Go Fede. I can so see that, I wish he'd be my flight attendant one day. I also wish he'd hook me and juanita up with some cheap airfare. maybe we can discreetly plant that seed in his mind one day. speaking of travel I'm going to belgium next weekend! thats all for now
       Here's how crowded El Rastro gets! If you aren't the first people there..
Juanita y yo en Madrid



1 comment:

  1. eat the waffles in belgium! they really are that good!

    ReplyDelete